Wednesday 15 January 2014

'A Take on Modern Day Life' Offlife Comic Research

Through my initial research I looked at various artists, games and adverts finding some great resource material.

My basic story/idea is that I want to have these clockwork children who make the watches run (they have cog making workshops etc) so the take on modern life is someone looking at their watch unawares of the goings on inside the watch whilst these little characters make the watch tick!

I want these characters an their surroundings to be inspired by victorian architecture and victorian things (i.e. cogs, pocketswatches etc)

Immediately I thought of phillip harris although my intentions with the chracters will be quite simplified he's a great illustrator who demonstrates the beauty of victorian/steampunk environments in some of his drawings.
Here are some Examples:


I love the linework and sketched feel to some of his work, I'd like to experiment more with pencils and less colours just to see what my work would come up like, I use coloured pencils a lots when doing my tattoo designs so maybe this is something I should think about when creating my characters.

Another illustrator I started looking at was Mr Mead, very similar to Harris due to the linework and black&white quality to his work, I really enjoy his unique creative illustrations, the bionic/steampunk element to his characters are really interesting, it's good to have some reference materials for how to draw cogs!!!



I was watching tv the other day and the new Jakeman's cough sweet advert is based on an Edwardian Circus the colours and style of the animation was really lovely! I thought it applied to the style of project I will be taking on, to see the advert click on this link and go to the 'Roll up, Roll up' Video

http://www.jakemans.com/about.ashx

Finally following quite a black a white theme on this post!!! One of my favourite games Limbo. It's just a really simple but beautiful game, the animation sets the scene and it's really nice to just wander around on the game because you feel as though someone's taken time to create it, here are some stills from the game. It follows the journey of a boy, and you come across trials and puzzles along the way, in the meantime there are giant mechanical spiders that come out to play whilst sometimes doing these trials.






No comments:

Post a Comment