Tuesday 29 April 2014

Page Development

This is so far what I've done for my first double page,

I've used this image as inspiration, my trees however are not as green! I wanted to create a really dulled down colour pallete so there's that stark difference between the white of the bear and it's surroundings, I did hoever add dashes of colour/greens to the leaves in the image.

 Fewer than 500 is the number of Spirit Bears that exist in the entire world. A shy creature, until recently considered mythical, and one that very few people outside of this area had ever even seen, the Spirit Bear is a “white” black bear.    Image ©Paul Nicklen/National Geographic Creative
Paul Nicklen Photography

Here's the development of the double page...
I started off by digitally going over my pencil drawing with colour line, this way whe I traced the digital drawing in illustrator it would keep the coloured line I desired for the main areas.


Initially it was almost too colourful the grass wasn't right and the bear didn't stand out enough.


So I changed it round some more thinking maybe a more grayscale colour palette will work if I change the background? But that wasn't quite right either, I wanted to create continuity throughout the comic, so the same background colour unless you want to change concept of time would be ideal. It was just too dark and I also had to consider I've got 2 other bears in the comic who or a dark grey so it just wouldn't have worked.


This is near to completion, I got the colours just about right but needed something else to not make it look as flat, just needed something. Which is where I started playing around with mist.


This is the final (not completely cleaned up version) I'm currently playing about with adding some mist/cloud to the night sky, you sometimes get that mist in forests, especially if it's high up!




No comments:

Post a Comment